Saturday, September 22, 2007

Through My Horn-rimmed Spectacles: A poem

Hello world. Has there ever been a period in your life when you just got worn out trying to understand everything that happened around you? You know, trying to figure things out via cold and rational means? You know, I've been there and, frankly, I'm happier where I am now. The truth is, science will never be enough as a means to understanding our world (particularly the one inside us); neither will its cold, analytical and critical methods ever provide, when applied exclusively, the complete joys that can be derived from the wonderful phenomenon of being. This was the inspiration for this poem. I hope you like it and I hope it inspires you to live a fuller life, enjoying every single gift that God has given us... especially the ones we can't explain in diagrams, flowcharts and equations.


THROUGH MY HORN-RIMMED SPECTACLES


Colour is a mere selective emission
Of electromagnetic energy
And the taste and aroma of a home-cooked
Meal is nothing but biochemical interactions.
Through my horn-rimmed spectacles
A loved ones touch is mere sensory perception,
Relationships are sociological necessities
And love? Love is hormonal hyperactivity.
Through my horn-rimmed spectacles
This world is an asymmetric collection of facts
And though these are not tinted, A Dark Place.
Through my horn-rimmed spectacles
I cannot read beyond the text or
See beyond the grave where this
Brilliant biological machine must decay.
Everything is a watery, bitter blur. And life?
Life is pointless.

1 comment: