Thursday, June 28, 2007

Lies

Rife
Widespread and grafted into society
Unnoticed even when observed
Conversation, relationships… lies!

“Oh how nice to meet you…”
“Lovely house you have here Ms…”
“The thing about me is…”

Dulling the whiteness of the very fabric of society
Politics, schools, history, religions… lies

“I promise that on re-election…”
“This is the way it is… always has been…”
The civil war was as a result of…”
“It is the will of God”

Lies! Lies!! Lies!!!

But ah! To speak the truth,
It is inconceivable.
Yes, it is madness.
That all say, truly, what is within
And voice their intentions…

“This place is a dump”
“I am a thief and I want to swindle you”
“I am really a libertine”
“I want re-appointment that I might loot the more!”
“I am a false prophet”

Chaos, madness, lunacy
Isn’t it?

But what is it
To live in falsity,
In a world of lies?

Toye 'lanrewaju

2 comments:

Eunice said...

The last bit of the poem reminds me of the movie 'Liar Liar' by Jim Carey. I agree with you, it would be total madness if we were to speak the truth all the time. In that case, the evil we conceive in our hearts shall be know to all. When that time comes not even judges would be able to judge others 'cos 'as a man thinketh so is he.'

On the other hand, if all men were to endeavor to be truthful, then, the evil crimes that they themselves would come to later regret would be averted.

Time Traveller said...

Lies...as destructive as it sounds many have embraced it out of fear of loosing a loved one or saving the relationship, some greed and wickedness and some self gratification.however its energy speaks for itself(dats not to say i would support a lying filled society)and it makes truth refreshing to hear when you eventually get it.